The Bessemer Industrial Development Board (IDB) provides services to those businesses involved in light industrial, light manufacturing and wholesale/transportation industries. The IDB works closely with the City of Bessemer, Jefferson County and the State of Alabama to provide an excellent work environment for businesses locating or currently located within the city. The IDB, to date, has provided services to several hundred operations and continues to be a viable and important source for economic development in the Bessemer area. The services provided to businesses include:
- Build to Suit Program – the IDB has the ability to build to customer specifications facilities involved in the industries outline in the introduction. Currently the average size of a facility developed by the IDB is approximately 35,000 square feet.
- Property Leasing – The IDB currently has a portfolio of 19 industrial facilities for lease in the City of Bessemer. The facilities vary in size from 5000 to 50,000. Currently, all the facilities are occupied.
- Business Development Liaison – IDB staff can assist a business with making contact and negotiating with municipality and county officials, utility and other service providers.
- Business Incentives and Tax Abatements – the IDB is a licensed industrial development authority giving it the rights and powers afforded by the State of Alabama to such entities. Examples of tax incentives and abatement are described in another section of this website.
- Bessemer Business Incubation System – the IDB sponsors a business incubation program aimed at housing and providing new and emerging small businesses with services ranging from individual business counseling, business and marketing plan development to financial/loan proposal development. The incubation system also leases office and manufacturing space to its resident clients.22